January 28, 2011

Unit Study: Police

The month of February we are also studying Policeman and how they can help us.

I created a few printables to go with our Unit ( i did not create a lesson plan as I will be stretching the activities for the whole month and we will repeat some of the activities)
 (click image to download)

Whats in the Unit:
  • Flashcards
  • My information- We will use this to talk about first/last name, emergency numbers, parents names, address and our phone number. This way in case of an emergency they will know what to do!
  • Color by number Traffic light- We will use this to discuss what the traffic light is for.
  • Fingerprint Numbers- Using a stamp pad have your little one stamp the appropriate amount of finger prints in each box.
  • Whistle Patterns- Complete the Patterns

Other activities:
  • Make a Police Badge- Use cardboard and cut out the shape badge you want. wrap tin foil around the badge and use a paint brush to smooth out and creases. Then u can decorate it the way you want.
  • Talk about Strangers and what to do if a Stranger approaches the child.
  • Take a field trip to a Police Station

Role Play:
  • Dress in badge, hat, blue shirt, make a stop sign to use during this time and play police man.

Game to Play:
  • Police Officer Says- Played just like "Simon Says" except you say "Police Officer Says."
 
Songs & Fingerplay:
 
*I Am A Policeman*
(sung to: I'm A Little Teapot)
I am a policeman, with my star.
I help people near and far.
If you have a problem, call on me.
And I will be there, 1, 2, 3


 *Police Officers Fingerplay*
 Five police officers standing by a door-------
 One became a traffic cop; then there were four.
 Four police officers watching over me----
 one took home a lost boy, and then there were three.
 Three police officers dressed all in blue----
 One stopped a speeding car, and then there were two.
 Two police officers---how fast they run!
 One caught a bad man, and then there was one.
 One police officer saw smoke faraway.
 He called the firehouse, and the fire person saved the day.



* Police Officer*
 Police officers are helpers wherever they may stand.
 (Stand with feet apart, hands on hips.)
 They tell us when to stop and go by holding up their hands.
 (Signal stop by holding up hand and go by pointing index finger.)


If you use the Unit Study please leave a link in the comments. I'd love to see it in use!

Towards the end of February I will have the Mailman Unit Study up.

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a unit, and I love that you share it for downloading! Some my son isn't old enough for yet, but it'll get the ball rolling. I need a stamp pad now since the fingerprint one looks really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,

    I have been meaning to leave a comment to tell you how creative and fun I think your printables are. Terrific job!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I am glad that I have found these CHelpers printables. My students will enjoy using them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your units are great! I purchased one from another website and wished I had found your things first. I love your creative ideas!!! Thanks so much for making these. I can't wait to use your ideas with my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my! Your 'police officer finger play' saves my day! its quite challenging to teach the 18 months - 3 years old about the jobscope of a police officer until I saw your finger play! I will get the children to role play according to the finger play! thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and try to reply as much as I can!! If there is something important and aren't sure I will get the comment please email me at lauren @ lawteedah dot com.