August 15, 2010

Unit Study: Family

This past week we did our first Unit Study. We focused on Family and who was in our family as well as what family jobs we share around our household.

We started the week off with reading a book about family
The Family Book

And worked on the cover of our Lapbook. We paint a hand of each of our family member and put them on paper. Then cut them out and glued to the front of the Lapbook. Along with the We are Family Cover Page.
Cover Page download: http://www.mediafire.com/?41035wgidc8fu2i



We also added a picture of our family to the Lapbook so that the boys could see what a family was.

The Next Day we focused on our Family Tree. We cut out pictures of our immediate family(just the ones in this house as I didnt want to get to confusing). Then we named them and put there names under there pictures. Instead of using mommy and daddy real name i just put mommy and daddy as it was easier for them.


Click the image below to download each part of the Family Tree set:

We played Mommy Says ( just like Simon Says)

The next day we talked about everything we did the past 2 days and then added in patterns using the Family Pattern Sheet.
Pattern Sheet download: http://www.mediafire.com/?lg2b4gfw8hv52y3




We made our Family Faces ( the print out is just the head outline, you decorate to make it look like you)
Family Face download: http://www.mediafire.com/?g79ckfw68bn9ft8



Then named things that we did around the house or items that were certain peoples. And the boys had to tell us the person it belonged too.

We played a game or 2 of Hide the Family. Mommy or Daddy would his the family faces around the living room and then the boys had to come find them! As they found them we had them say something nice about that family member!


A Few other Ideas to incorporate in:

  • Match Names to Family Pictures
  • Make a Family Puzzle out of your Family picture
  • Play pretend Family by playing house
  • Discuss all the different Families in your neighborhood
  • Draw a Picture of your Family
  • Sing Some Family Songs ( Examples below)
Family Songs

Love Song
by chicky-ma-ma
Love my Mommy,
Yes I do,
Love my Mommy,
Yes I do,
Love my Mommy,
Yes I do,
Love my Mommy,
And I love you!
Replace mommy with other family members.

Special Song
by chicky-ma-ma
sung to "Where is Thumbkin?"
Daddy is special,
Daddy is special,
Yes he is,
Yes he is,
Daddy is special,
Daddy is special,
Yes he is,
Yes he is.
Replace Daddy with other family members.


Lesson Plan that I used to teach the Unit Study for the week.
Family Unit Study Lesson Plan

The boys learned so much about our Family this week and are still asking to play hide the family! Its an everyday game around here now!

Our Next Unit Study will be on Human Body. We are taking a week off school since Daddy is on vacation and will do the next Unit that following week.

2 comments:

  1. I love these ideas and glad I found them. I'm following you now in hopes of some more great ideas I can use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome ideas!!! I will be using them in my Pre-K classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and try to reply as much as I can!! If there is something important and aren't sure I will get the comment please email me at lauren @ lawteedah dot com.